Tuesday, 28 August 2007

borgese

The Borghese gallery in Rome featured many of the high renaissance artists typically thought of when thinking about this period in the art spectrum. My focus would have to be Bernini as I feel like his works are a hidden secret in Italy. Pluto and Proserpina absolutely blew me away and I would have to say that it is the most amazing marble carving I have ever seen. Pluto is a masculine male grasping Poserpina who appears to be doing everything in her power to exit his hold. A highlight of the piece is how she shall stretches back in a way that employs movement through space. An amazing feat when working with stationary subjects as well as marble. His hair is a twisted mess of locks peeling off his scalp reaching to a place once travelled. Bernini develops the twisting pose reminiscent of the popular style of Mannerism, combined with an impression of vital energy. In pushing against Pluto's face Proserpina's hand creases his skin and his fingers sink into the flesh of his victim creating a realistic appeal which sets this sculpture into another realm.

Viewing this work of the master I felt as if vie been somewhat brainwashed into believing with out ever actually viewing that Michelangelo’s David was the finest work of any renaissance era sculptor. That over the years I have accepted this opinion that has been pressed upon me with out actually basing it on how I felt. This created an interesting feeling when I arrived in Italy and began to view works of the masters. I found that many of the masterpieces which attract tourists from around the world didn’t really excite me. Beyond the content of the traditional tour is where I discovered Bernini, a true master of Italian artist craft. In the work of Pluto I was taken back with the depth of which the work penetrated my thought process when viewing it, rather than staring at the David in awe I wanted to feel the sculpture of Bernini, I wanted to understand why the sculpture drew me in as it did. A question that I will most likely find an answer to when I return home and begin missing Italy.

No comments: